Counseling is the activity of the counselor or a professional who counsels people, especially on personal problems and difficulties. Counseling involves listening.
List of counseling topics
- Academic advising
- Career counseling
- Online counseling
- Mental health counseling
- Couples therapy
- Credit counseling
- Disciplinary counseling
- Telephone counseling
- Psychiatric and so on.
Process of counseling
- Opening: establishing a relationship/ build trust.
- Exploring: good listening.
- Understanding: clarifying/ reflecting/ summarizing the problems.
- Deciding on intervention: understanding the situation that the person is in.
- Exploring the problem to find out the solution.
- Helping the person to plan his own solution.
- Monitoring and maximizing resilience.
Effective counselors should have excellent communication skills.
- Problem solving skills
Mental illness counseling
According to a study, approximately 26.2% Americans are effected by mental illness every year. Here are some of the common mental illnesses that counselors work with:
- Anxiety disorder
- Attention defeat disorder
- Borderline personality
- Eating disorder
- Panic disorder
How to help a depressed person by his family member
- Ask for help from friends, doctor or a counselor.
- Learn about the diagnosis, but don’t define the person by it.
- Work on relationship with the person. Spend more time with that person. Be more supportive.
- Set healthy boundaries. Make decisions together when possible.
- Have a basic plan for mental health emergencies like suicidal thoughts and violence.
- Encourage the person to follow through with therapy recommendations.
How to become a mental health counselor
- Get a bachelor’s degree in psychology
- Get an advanced degree in specialty
- Get clinical counseling experience
- Take the counselor exam
- Apply for licensure in your state
Homeopathic and mental health
Homeopathic gives great importance to mental illness. Homeopathic is based on the philosophy of treating the whole person based on mind, body and life force relationships. From a homeopathic point of view, the prevalence of mental illness in our society is not simply the result of living in a fast paced, stressful society, but also a result of poor medical care system which has great effect on brain of people. Depression and anxiety are the major mental illnesses in the world. Homeopathic remedies help in reducing these problems.
A person who is mentally ill can’t understand his right or wrong. He has always feared from small things. He thinks that all persons around him are trying to kill him or hurt him. Homeopathic provides treatment to that kind of person to return in his normal position.
Symptoms of mental illness
- Behavioral abnormalities
- Alcoholism and drug dependency
- Forget things
Treatment of mental illness with homeopathic
- Stay at peaceful place
- Gossip with older people
- Enjoy with your family
- Take a good sleep
- Eat organic fruits and vegetables
- Homeopathic medicines
- Mental exercises
Benefits of homeopathic:
- Treatment with medicines made from natural sources like plants and minerals.
- Treatment customized for every patient.
- Effectively treats the underlying cause of depression.
- Reduce emotional hypersensitivity.
- Regulates happy hormones balance.
- Improves general and mental health.
Treatment approach: the following steps are involved in treatment approach.
- First consultation
- Medical diagnosis
- Personalized treatment
- Advice on lifestyle